Monday, February 11, 2013

The Cost of CHD

CHD comes at a high price...it will take your time, your money, and at any moment it can even take your life. 

Today I would like to take the time to share some of the facts about the money given to CHD research and the monetary cost of maintaining CHD. 

Congenital Heart Defects are common and deadly, yet CHD research is grossly under-funded relative to the prevalence of the disease. Only one penny of every dollar donated to the American Heart Association goes toward Congenital Heart Defect research. Of every dollar the government spends on medical funding, only a fraction of a penny is directed toward CHD research. With the knowledge that CHD is the number 1 birth defect the minimal funding is hard to believe; yet it is the reality. One of the reasons that I have chosen to write a daily post about CHD during the CHD Awareness Week this year is that I firmly believe that if more people knew about CHD and how common it is that there would be more money provided for research. 

When it comes to the cost of surgery...the Center for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that the cost for inpatient surgery to repair congenital heart defects is over $2 billion a year (in the US alone). 
We are very fortunate to have excellent insurance that helped to cover Stella's two open heart surgeries and over 3 months of hospital stay. However; if we did not have insurance we would have been billed for well over $1 million for just one child!
I personally think that this is a million dollar smile and Stella's life is priceless to me but I am very thankful that we had insurance to help cover her medical bills. 

On the last day of CHD Awareness Week I will be going into depth about how YOU can help. I will include a lot of great information about how you can help spread awareness, how to detect CHD before it's too late, helpful organizations and resources for families dealing with CHD, and how to donate for research.  


1 comment:

  1. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, fatigue, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    Reply

    ReplyDelete